Why Breakfast Is A Must!
One in every 5 teenagers regularly misses out on breakfast. That’s a staggering 20% of you! Breakfast is important because it kick starts your body. Overnight your body has been gently ticking over (like being on standby) and slowly using up stored energy. It is probably the longest time that the body goes without food each day. So when you wake you need to replace used up energy stores ready for the day ahead. Breakfast should provide about 1/5 to 1/4 of your needs for energy (calories) and key nutrients such as protein and fibre every day.
What happens if you skip breakfast?
Children and young adults who skip breakfast are more likely to:
- Be overweight than those who eat breakfast
- Eat snacks that are high in fat and/or sugar during the morning
- Have lower intakes of vitamins and minerals
If these aren’t good enough reason for eating a healthy breakfast then try this:
Recently scientists have actually shown that eating breakfast improves your ability to concentrate, especially in maths and creative work. If this makes sense to you, try setting aside a little more time for breakfast in the mornings and check our great breakfast ideas below.
Healthy breakfast options:
- Breakfast cereal with milk, try a whole grain variety.
- Thick cut whole grain or wholemeal toast with favourite spread or topping. Try peanut butter, light soft cheese and sliced banana, baked beans, or yeast extract.
- Fruit smoothie e.g. made with banana, yogurt and a splash of milk.
- Homemade BLT (bacon, lettuce and tomato), grill the bacon and remove the rind to make it healthier.
- Porridge or instant oats.
- Chopped fruit with yogurt.
- Toasted bagel or English muffin with favourite spread or topping.
You may like to combine some of these, say have a fruit smoothie and wholemeal toast.
Check out our Recipes section for some great ideas for breakfast.