What You Need (serves 4)
- 130g (5oz) split red lentils
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 1 bay leaf
- ¾ tsp ground cumin
- 2 tomatoes (chopped)
- 100g (4oz) unsalted peanuts (chopped)
- 100g (4oz) wholemeal breadcrumbs
- black pepper
- 2 tablespoons parsley (chopped)
- 1 egg (beaten)
How To Make It
- Put the lentils in a pan with plenty of water, onions, and bay leaf, cumin and tomatoes.
- Bring to the boil and simmer until the lentils are soft.
- Drain, remove the bay leaf, and beat the lentils until smooth.
- Mix the peanuts and breadcrumbs together. Beat half this mixture into the lentil puree.
- Add the pepper and parsley and stir in the beaten eggs.
- Divide into 4 flat cakes. Coat with the remaining peanut and breadcrumb mixture.
- Grill or bake until heated through and crisp on the top.
- Serve in a toasted bun with salad, spicy potato wedges and salsa.
Recipe kindly provided by the Grampian Dietitians.