Duo Of Stuffed Peppers
What You Need (serves 4)
- 4 peppers (firm)
- 1 onion (finely chopped)
- 3 tomatoes (chopped)
- 75g (3oz) brown rice, cooked
- 125g (5oz) Edam or half-fat Cheddar cheese or 80g (3oz) mature Cheddar
- Pinch of dried mixed herbs
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
How To Make It
- Pre-heat oven to 160C/350F/Gas Mark 4.
- Cut a slice off the top of each pepper; remove centre core and seeds.
- Stand peppers upright in an ovenproof dish.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan, add the onions and cook until soft.
- Add the tomatoes, rice, mixed herbs and seasoning and heat through.
- Arrange rice mixture in pepper shells.
- Top each with grated cheese.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes until peppers are tender.
- Serve hot.
Try these variations:
- Serve with boiled tagliatelle, egg noodles, cous cous or crusty bread and with some salad.
- Experiment with different stuffings. Replace rice with cous cous or breadcrumbs. Try mozzarella instead of cheddar.
- Try topping the peppers with a mixture of fresh breadcrumbs, chopped fresh herbs and a little grated parmesan. You can whiz these up together in a blender.
Recipe kindly provided by the Grampian Dietitians.