Pasta And Cauliflower Bake
What You Need (serves 2)
- 100g (4oz) dried macaroni or pasta shapes
- 1 small cauliflower, washed and cut into small florets
- 75g (3oz) cheese, grated (try half-fat varieties)
- 300ml (½ pint) semi or skimmed milk
- 1 heaped tablespoon of cornflour
- seasoning - pepper/mustard
- 1-2 tomatoes
How To Make It
- Cook the pasta using the packet instructions.
- At the same time boil the cauliflower in a pan with some water. Cook for 5-10 minutes, so it is still a little crunchy.
- Drain the pasta and cauliflower and mix together. Place in an oven proof dish.
- Prepare the cheese sauce (see below). Pour the sauce over the pasta and cauliflower. Sprinkle on the remaining 25g (1oz) grated cheese, add the sliced tomato, and brown under the grill, or place in a pre heated oven for 15-20 minutes at 175C/350F/Gas mark 4.
For the Cheese Sauce
- Mix 1 heaped tablespoon of cornflour to a paste with a little cold milk (about 3-4 tablespoons), this can be done in a cup or mug.
- Gently heat the 300ml (½ pint) milk and then add the liquid cornflour mixture, stir gently until mixture thickens.
- Flavour the sauce by adding mustard, pepper, and 50g (2oz) grated cheese. Add a little more milk if the mixture appears too thick.
To make a nice crunchy topping, try crumbling 1-2 breakfast biscuits like Weetabix or Shredded Wheat on top!
Try making this dish using broccoli instead of cauliflower.
Recipe kindly provided by the Community Dietitians of North East Wales NHS Trust.