What You Need (serves 4)
- 400g (16oz) potatoes
- 400g (16oz) broccoli (broken into florets)
- 200g (8oz) can of chopped tomatoes
- 50g (2oz) plain flour
- 50g (2oz) sunflower margarine
- 560ml (1 pint) semi-skimmed milk
- 50g (2oz) lower-fat cheddar (grated)
- 75g (3oz) wholemeal breadcrumbs
How To Make It
- Pre-heat oven to 200C/400F/Gas Mark 6.
- Boil the potatoes until they are just cooked.
- Steam the broccoli for 5 minutes, until just tender.
- Heat up the tomatoes in a pan.
- In a separate pan make the white sauce. Melt the margarine. Stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the milk, a little at a time, taking care to stir well between additions.
- Return the pan to the heat and bring to the boil, stirring continuously. Cook gently until the sauce thickens. Season to taste.
- Add half the cheese (25g/1oz) to the sauce and stir until melted.
- Layer a thin coating of tomatoes on the bottom of an oven proof dish (like a casserole dish); add the potatoes (sliced quite thickly), broccoli and cheese sauce, then repeat the layers.
- There should be enough to layer the dish twice, finishing with a very thin covering of cheese sauce.
- Mix the remaining cheese with the breadcrumbs and sprinkle over the top.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
- Serve with seasonal vegetables or salad and crusty bread.
Recipe kindly provided by the Grampian Dietitians.