What You Need (serves 24)
- 75g (3oz) polyunsaturated margarine
- 400g (8oz) self-raising flour
- 250ml (½ pint) semi-skimmed milk
- Milk to glaze
How To Make It
- Pre-heat oven to 230C/450F/Gas Mark 8
- Rub the margarine into flour with clean hands until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Make a well in the centre and stir in enough milk to give a soft dough.
- Turn out onto a floured board, knead very lightly, then roll out to about 2cm thick, or pat it out with your hands.
- Cut out the scones with a medium sized cutter.
- Place on a baking sheet, brush with milk and bake near the top of the oven for about 10 minutes, until brown and well risen.
Try different types of scones
Add 1 tablespoon of castor sugar and 100g currants, sultanas, chopped dates and raisins before adding the milk.
Replace flour with 300g self-raising wholemeal flour and 100g plain flour. Add 1 teaspoon of baking powder to the dry ingredients.
Recipe kindly provided by Grampian Dietitians