What You Need
- 150g (6oz) long grain rice
- 300 ml (½ pint) boiling water
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 25g (1oz) peas
- 25g (1oz) mushrooms, sliced
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
How To Make It
- Fry the onion in oil for 3 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Add the rice and stir.
- Add the water, stock cube, peas and curry powder.
- Simmer for 15 minutes, until rice is tender.
- Try adding different vegetables and flavourings to the rice such as okra, sweetcorn, courgette, nuts, carrot, chicken stock cube and different herbs.
- Serve with a slice of cheese on toast, sliced cold meat, a home made burger, low-fat sausages or leftovers.
Recipe kindly provided by the British Nutrition Foundation.