Easy Shepherds Pie
What You Need (serves 4)
- 600g (1.5 lbs) potatoes (peeled and diced)
- 600g (1.5 lbs) swede or turnip (peeled and diced)
- black pepper (to taste)
- 3 tablespoons semi-skimmed milk
- 400g (16oz) lean minced lamb or beef
- 1 medium onion (peeled and chopped)
- 1 dessert spoon plain flour
- 440g (17oz) can chopped tomatoes
- ½ teaspoon dried rosemary (if using lamb)
How To Make It
- Boil potatoes and swede for 15-20 minutes, or until tender.
- Drain and mash until smooth with the milk. Season with pepper.
- Dry fry the minced lamb or beef until browned..
- Drain off any excess fat, add the onion and fry for a further 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Sprinkle over the flour and stir until the mince and onion mixture is evenly coated.
- Add the tomatoes, rosemary and 300ml of water. Bring to the boil, stirring until thickened. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Place mince in a heatproof dish. Spoon the potato and swede mixture over the top. Texture the topping with a fork.
- Either grill until lightly browned, or pop into a pre-warmed oven (200C/400F/Gas mark 6) for 20 minutes.
- Serve with a selection of cooked vegetables.
- If your shepherd’s pie dish is very full, place on a baking tray to catch any that spills over whilst cooking in the oven or under the grill.
Recipe kindly provided by the Grampian Dietitians.