What You Need (serves 2)
- 25g (1oz) desiccated coconut
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons of sunflower or olive oil
- 2 heaped teaspoons each of curry powder, plain flour and tomato puree
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 1 small apple, peeled and chopped
- A few sultanas
- About 150g (6oz) cooked chicken
- 2 tablespoons of natural yogurt
How To Make It
- Put the coconut in a bowl and pour over a cup of boiling water, leave to stand for about 30 minutes.
- Cook onion in oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat until soft, then add curry powder and flour and cook for one minute.
- Stir in the tomato puree, 1 cup of boiling water and crumble in the chicken stock cube. Add the apple and sultanas and cook gently for about 10 minutes.
- Pour the coconut and the liquid through a sieve and press the coconut down to extract the flavour. Add the coconut "milk" and chopped cooked chicken to the curry and cook for 15 minutes more. Stir in the yoghurt just before serving.
- Serve with boiled rice, chapatti or pitta bread.
Recipe kindly provided by the Community Dietitians of North East Wales NHS Trust.