Banana and Walnut Loaf
Try this healthy fruit and nut loaf, its packed full of goodness, for a healthy tea-time treat.
What you need
- 4 medium sized bananas
- 160g (6oz) walnut pieces
- 110g (1oz) plain flour
- 110g (4oz) wholemeal plain flour
- 110g (4oz) sunflower or olive oil based spread
- 140g (5oz) soft dark brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Zest of one orange and one lemon
How to make it
- Pre heat oven to Gas mark 4 /180 C /350 F.
- Toast walnuts on baking sheet in the oven for 7-9 minutes. Cool and roughly chop.
- Peel and mash bananas to a puree in a blender or by hand. Add baking powder, cinnamon and both flours.
- Add remaining ingredients except nuts and beat until well mixed.
- Fold in walnut pieces. Add a little skimmed milk to achieve a consistency that drops off a spoon.
- Put mixture in a 1 kg (2lb) loaf tin which has been lined with greaseproof paper.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for 1¼ - 1½ hours or until loaf feels springy in the centre. Leave to cool in the tin before removing.