Sport & Supplements
Extra vitamin and mineral supplements should not be necessary if you are eating a healthy balanced diet with a good variety of foods from all the food groups.
If you still decide to take a supplement:
- It’s best if you speak to your GP, dietitian or sports nutritionist.
- You use a general multivitamin and mineral supplement that is suitable for your age.
- Only use as directed on the instructions.
Its important to remember that supplementation with one or more extra vitamins or minerals can’t make up for not eating well and will not:
- Increase performance
- Offer a competitive edge
- Prevent injuries
- Provide energy
- Build muscles
If you want to take a supplement as an insurance policy:
- Buy a general multivitamin and mineral supplement from a pharmacy
- Check with the pharmacist if you are unsure
- Take the supplement in the dosage recommended - just because some is good doesn't necessarily mean more is better